You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

The Chapel In The Lake; Genasaret

Loading Map
NPRN403471
Map ReferenceSH70NW
Grid ReferenceSH7142009900
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
CommunityLlanfihangel-y-pennant
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
A lighter stony, circular pile or cairn was visible through the water during aerial reconnaisance on 17th March 1999, following information from Peter Crew, Snowdonia National Park.

Independent research from Roy D Rowlands, Tywyn, records that this is infact the remains of a chapel, formerly started by the preacher William Roberts in 1839. This was opened in an existing dwelling named 'Talyllyn Lake', but was probably changed to the biblical name Genasaret as was the custom. Raising of the level of the lake in 1852, following bridge strengthening and alteration at the west end, caused the chapel to become unstable and it was thus demolished. A heap of stones remained below the water, originally with a flag placed in it to warn boaters and anglers.
Source: Original research by Roy D Rowlands.

T. Driver, RCAHMW