You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Black Lion Inn, Llanfaethlu

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH38NW
Grid ReferenceSH3197686432
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
PeriodPost Medieval
An inn which is part of a late 18th or early 19th century linear range, the inn being at the left (North) end. It has later alterations and additions. The 1841 census returns for the parish lists Elinor Jones as the publican, with her husband William recorded as being a joiner; also listed are Owen Lewis, shoemaker, and his family, and William Thomas, also a shoesmith.

The Public House is a long, 3 window, range perhaps originating as a 2-unit house and cottage. There is a doorway in a porch between the two left hand windows, with two further closely spaced windows in the right hand bay. The windows are 20th century casements, probably replacing earlier sashes, with shaped, eared and shouldered architraves. The first floor windows are set directly under the eaves.
(Source; Cadw listing database) S FIelding RCAHMW 20/09/2005