You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Stanley Windmill;Melin y Gof, Trearddur Bay

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH27NE
Grid ReferenceSH2660478868
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
PeriodPost Medieval
Eighteenth century former windmill. Circular, tapering tower of rubble construction, raised by one storey above former roof level. Now converted for occupation, it was still working in 1934.
(Source: notes by A. Fisher, RCAHMW site file).

Additional notes:-Early C19, built on land owned by the Stanley family of Penrhos. Construction is thought to have begun in 1826, the date scratched in the stonework, and completed the following year. The mill once contained a millstone bearing the date 1828, probably the year when milling began. Melin y Gof was the last mill in Wales to be worked by wind and ceased production in November 1938 following a storm which removed the cap and sails. A scheme soon got underway to provide funds for its repair and restoration, but unfortunately the outbreak of the Second World War meant that the scheme was never completed and the mill continued to deteriorate. In the early 1960's planning permission was granted to convert the tower into a house and the height was raised by one storey to accommodate a viewing studio.
A tapering circular 3-storey windmill tower built of rubble masonry, rendered and whitewashed. Openings are square-headed with a single double-doored entrance and small lights to each storey. The height of the tower has been raised by one storey to accommodate a viewing studio with 8 large windows around the circumference, and a flat roof.
Source:- Cadw listed buildings (NJR 05/09/2007)