You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

All Saints' Church, Cellan

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN64NW
Grid ReferenceSN6135449746
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityLlanfair Clydogau
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
All Saints' Church is situated within a roughly circular churchyard. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Sub-Aeron and in the patronage of St Davids. The patronage was unchanged in 1833. According to tradition, the church's dedication was originally St Callwen. There may have been a Bronze Age barrow beneath where the church now stands.

The church is a Grade II* listed building, constructed of limestone rubble. It consists of two-bayed nave, two-bayed chancel, south porch, north vestry and west bellcote. The nave and chancel are thought to be thirteenth-fourteenth century in date. The south door is thought to be medieval, as is stoup. The square limestone font bowl is thought to be thirteenth century in date. It has vertical roll-mouldings and sits on a rebuilt stem and base. A blocked The porch is thought to have been added in the early seventeenth century, at the time the thatched roof was replaced. The high weathering stones above the west end of the chancel roof probably indicate the former thatched roof. The church was reputedly restored in 1668, 1797 and 1799. There was a rood loft in 1810. The church was restored in 1861-1862. The church was again restored in 1908, to the designs of Herbert Luck North, Arts and Crafts architect, who lived and worked in Llanfairfechan, Conwy. He was brought in to repair and decorate the church by the new vicar, the Rev. W. E. Jones, who had heard of North through the Church Crafts League. North rebuilt the north wall of the chancel and the east wall of the porch, and renewed all the windows with brick surrounds and central piers, and simple leaded glazing. He provided an open rood screen and decorated the boarded ceilings with floral patterns in blue, green and red (possibly executed by his wife). At this time the font bowl was removed from its position in the south nave wall, where it had served as a dustbin.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Ceredigion Churches, gazetteer, 48

RCAHMW 12 July 2013