You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St James's Church, Walwyns Castle

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSM81SE
Grid ReferenceSM8727011210
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityWalwyn's Castle
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
St James the Great:
The church is situated at the centre of the village of Walwyn's Castle, strikingly placed on a raised church yard, close to the earthwork remains of the Castle. It comprises of a late 14th/ early 15th century tower, the ground storey of which is barrel vaulted. The battlements and belfry lights date from a rebuilding by F. Wehnert, begun in 1869 and finished by E.H. Lingen Barker in 1878, to the original plans.

The current church plan follows that of the old church: nave, north porch and chancel. Inside there is a tall chancel arch, with continuous triple role decoration; a medieval font (plain square bowl); pews and pulpit by Lingen Barker; reredos by John Coates Carter, erected c.1925 as a war memorial - three bays long, brightly painted panels united by weaving teaxts and a rainbow, and a stained glass east window, dating to 1928, by Powell of Whitefriars.

Lloyd, T; Orbach J & Scourfield R, 2004 'The Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire' (pg 492-493)

Louise Barker, RCAHMW, July 2007