Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

CLYDACH FOUNDRY; PLAYER'S WORKS, CLYDACH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 40445

Map Reference SN60SE

Grid Reference SN68720088

Unitary (Local) Authority Swansea

Old County Glamorgan

Community Clydach

Type of Site IRON WORKS

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description This Clydach Foundry site was the first of many to use surplus lock-water from the Swansea Canal to provide water power. A waterwheel, built in 1829, provided the blast for the foundry. The wheel house survives and latterly housed a water turbine. It was taken out in the early 1980s and now lies in the yard. A timber foundry crane also survives.

(Site entry from "A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of the Swansea Region", Association for Industrial Archaeology, 2nd Edition, 1989)

J Hill, RCAHMW, 23 October 2003

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites