You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Melingriffith Tin Plate Works

Loading Map
Map ReferenceST18SW
Grid ReferenceST1427080150
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCardiff
Old CountyGlamorgan
PeriodPost Medieval
There are some surviving elements, including a water wheel and pump, of the once extensive industrial complex at the Melingrifiith Tinplate Works. Although the surviving buildings date largely from the nineteenth century, the original works were developed from an iron forge established about 1749 on the site of a medieval mill. It is believed that the water supply from the Taff was usedfor both the medieval and post-medieval mills.

The tinplate works were supplied with iron sheets from Pentyrch Ironworks (NPRNs 34111 and 34112), carried on the Melingriffith and Pentyrch Railway (NPRN 91548). An early nineteenth century lodge house stands at the entrance to the works by a brick-arched stone bridge (NPRN 91457) over the Glamorganshire Canal (NPRN 34425).

2. Melingriffith tinplate works - site now cleared; water wheel and pump (nprn 34441) close to the site. OS report of 1982 unchanged. New housing estates are under construction to the immediate N, S and E of the site which is protected by a wire fence.
Site visited D.K.Leighton, RCAHMW, 15.6.1989.