You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Building Ii , Incline Head- Stage 1, Llanfoist Inclines

Loading Map
NPRN405141
Map ReferenceSO21SE
Grid ReferenceSO2773812693
Unitary (Local) AuthorityMonmouthshire
Old CountyMonmouthshire
CommunityLlanfoist Fawr
Type Of SiteBUILDING
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Situated at the head (NPRN 405139) of incline stage 1 (NPRN 91648) of the Llanfoist Inclines (NPRN 405096) are the remains of a stone building, set to the south of the incline plane. This comprises of a rectangular unit 8.7m long by 3.7m wide with a smaller unit attached to the southern end, 2.65m long by 2.5m wide. This building is shown on the 1844 tithe map of Llanfoist when it was linked with a small plot of land, described as a garden, running off to the south-west, the boundaries of which are still visible on the ground. The tithe award notes that the Earl of Abergavenny owned this land with a James Williams the occupier. It seems likely that the building would have been associated with the inclines, possibly occupied by am employee of the Blaenavon Iron and Coal Company, such as the incline manager.

This building was surveyed by RCAHMW in February 2006 as part of an investigation of the Llanfoist Inclines.

Louise Barker, RCAHMW, 24th October 2006.