You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Irish Bridge Number 27, Llangollen Canal;ellesmere Canal;shropshire Union Canal

Loading Map
NPRN405798
Map ReferenceSJ24SE
Grid ReferenceSJ2859540764
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyDenbighshire
CommunityChirk
Type Of SiteCANAL BRIDGE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
A fairly standard Jessop/ Telford designed canal overbridge but its situation within the northern part of a deep canal cutting means that it has much higher abutment walls than is usual and is a precursor to Telford's later spectacular overbridges on the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal.

The bridge carries the Chirk to Newbridge road over the Llangollen Canal and is built of coursed sandstone rubble. The single tall 3-centred arch composed of a single ring of cut voussoirs, set flush with the battered spandrel walls. Square plat band and rubble parapet. A later twentieth-century moulded concrete beam carries a widening of the parapet on the South West side of the South portal. The bridge spans the canal and the towpath on its East side.

The main Ellesmere Canal that was to link the Rivers Mersey and Dee with the River Severn. The Act was passed in 1793 and this section was constructed using the detailed designs of Thomas Telford with William Jessop as principal engineer. This section of canal was opened in 1802 when the section through Chirk Tunnel northwards to Froncysyllte was opened to traffic. Pontcysyllte was opened in 1805 and then work on the extension to headwaters at Llantysilio, West of Llangollen, was begun in 1804 and completed in 1808. The canal also provided transport to the slate quarries and limestone works. In 1846 it became part of the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company but the following year was taken over by the LNWR. Transport on the canal diminished in the later nineteenth century with the arrival of the railways and ceased by the 2nd World War. The canal was only kept open because of its importance as a supplier of water.

INW 20/4/2007 and Stephen R. Hughes, 29.05.2007 using the Cadw Listed Building description no. 20214.