You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael And All Angels' Church, Criggion

Loading Map
NPRN406777
Map ReferenceSJ21NE
Grid ReferenceSJ2959015119
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityBausley with Criggion
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Criggion Parish Church, dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, was built c.1770 in the Georgian style, constructed from red brick in Flemish bond with a slate roof with blue clay ridges between raised stone-coped gables. This original building comprised a rectangular nave and western tower, the ground floor of which served as an entrance. During the course of the nineteenth century a number of alterations and additions were made; general restoration occurred in 1838, followed by the addition of the vestry in 1842, and in 1848 the church was completed by the addition of a chancel, slightly narrower than the nave, built from local stone with sandstone dressings with an arch-braced roof. At this time the round-headed windows in the nave were replaced by lancet windows to complement the Gothic-style chancel.
The church bell dates from 1682, and may have originated from a church formerly occupying this site; records are inconclusive regarding the possibility of an earlier foundation. The eighteenth century pulpit and pews have been preserved, along with the gallery of 1840.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 24 November 2008