You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

The John Braddock & Mary Bamber Convalescent Centre

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH87NW
Grid ReferenceSH8446278618
Unitary (Local) AuthorityConwy
Old CountyDenbighshire
PeriodPost Medieval

Mary Bamber convalescent Home is a large, late 19th century, 2 and 3-storey building with a 2-storey bay to front and wide, dentilled eaves. A health insurance scheme for Merseysiders, the 'Penny in the Pound' fund, was set up in 1927. In 1931, the official title became the Merseyside Hospitals Council (Inc). The fund bought the building (the former home of Lord Colwyn, originally called Queens Lodge) and converted it to a convalescence centre after sale in 1946, when the demand for convalescence care was high.

Source: black and white photograph, dated 1964.

RCAHMW, 21st December 2007.

Queen's Lodge is a substantial late-nineteenth-century multi-gabled country-house with tower of `Tudor-Gothic? character; apparently the largest C19th mansion in the Colwyn Bay area. The house is attributed to William Owen, architect, and was completed c.1895 for a Warrington wire manufacturer, and was subsequently the home of Lord Colwyn (Edward Hubbard, The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd, p. 140). Queen's Lodge subsequently became The John Braddock Convalescent Home after purchase by the Merseyside Hospitals Council. The 1946 Sale Catalogue describes in detail the house with its park of 13 acres which included a walled garden, lake, and woodland margin. The Mary Bamber Convalescent Centre to the N. was built in about 1968. Present condition (2019): closed and derelict. Not listed but within a conservation area. R.F. Suggett/RCAHMW/2019