You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Mary Magdelene's Church, Tallarn Green

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSJ44SW
Grid ReferenceSJ4456744175
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyFlintshire
CommunityWillington Worthenbury
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century

St Mary Magdalene's church is located on the south-west side of the road through the linear village, set in its own graveyard. It is a small nineteenth-century church built in a simple early Gothic lancet style in 1872-3 to designs of architect John Edge at the expense of members of the Kenyon family of Gredington who are associated with several buildings in the village. It replaced a wooden chapel which had been opened on 12 October 1851. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 16 October 1878. It is constructed of rock-faced snecked red sandstone with tooled plinth and gold freestone dressings, and a very steep shingle roof which replaced the original tiles. It consists of nave and polygonal apse under one tall roof, lean-to south-east vestry, and a gabled north-west porch against which is set a clock turret with square tiled spire (added in 1888 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee).
Inside, the simple undivided space comprises nave with steps up to apsidal chancel and sanctuary. The roof is supported on timber trusses with wrought-iron ties, with wall posts sprung from stone corbels; timber ribs to apse, with herringbone boarding between trusses and ribs. Original fittings include the pulpit incorporated in a low stone wall at the chancel steps, featuring low-relief panels between polished granite banded shafts and chevron frieze; choir stalls and brass communion rail; font at the west end, a simple bowl with chevron decoration and inscribed band, supported on clustered shafts. Stained glass includes works by Trina Cox (1969) and Francis Skeates (1969 & 1975).

The church is associated with the poet, R. S. Thomas, who was curate here from 1940 to 1942. It was during his brief ministry that he determined to learn Welsh to enable him to return to Welsh-speaking Wales. The church was reported to have closed in 2007 and its contents dispersed.

Cadw Listing description.

RCAHMW, 10 November 2015