Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

NANTGARW POTTERY, TAFF'S WELL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 40801

Map Reference ST18NW

Grid Reference ST12048548

Unitary (Local) Authority Rhondda, Cynon, Taff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Taffs Well

Type of Site POTTERY WORKS

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. Remains of red-brick buildings and kilns lie on the east bank of the former Glamorganshire Canal (nprn 34425). The pottery was established in 1813, closing the following year and re-opening in 1817.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 24 April 1998.
2. On the bank of the Glamorganshire Canal, Billingsley's pottery of 1816 where the finest soft paste porcelain was manufactured for a few years. Later operated by generations of Pardoes making clay pipes and earthenware pottery. Three kilns, one newly constructed by a trust who are now custodians of site. Canalside warehouses opposite converted to dwellings.
(A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003)
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 21 September 2005.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites