You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Lerry Woollen Mills, Talybont;Leri Mills

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN68NE
Grid ReferenceSN6530089100
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
PeriodPost Medieval
Leri or Lerry Mills was one of the most extensive woollen mill sites in mid-Wales. It was founded in 1809, on a site which is reputed to have been a smeltery and stamp mill established in the 1640s by Thomas Bushell for processing silver and lead ores (NPRN 34039). Later there is thought to have been a corn mill on the site. The woollen mills closed in the early 1980s.

There are four major buildings on the site, all separately Listed Grade II. The North-east range (Listed as 18893) is thought to have been constructed in 1809, of rubblestone with a graded, hipped slate roof which has in more recent times been repaired with metal sheets. The windows have slate sills and wooden frames with iron glazing bars. At some later date the building was extended south-eastwards, concealing the south hip of the original roof. A leat now passes under this extension, turning to drive a composite breastshot waterwheel at the north end of the west wall. The building had spinning mules on the upper floor, now removed, and contains a carding engine.

The Upper Building (Listed as 18892) presents a single storey to the south and two storeys on its north side, and may contain elements of a late seventeenth century building. It is built of whitewashed rubblestone with a slate roof, and projections at the north-west corner may relate to a waterwheel site. To the north of this is the Riverside Building (Listed as 18894), a two-storey mid-nineteenth century building with rubblestone walls, windows with slate sills and brick heads, and a slate roof. At the north-west corner there is a section of timber framing in the upper storey. At the West end is a loft door accessed by a flight of stone steps, and a leat passes under the north-west corner.

At the west end of the site is a dyeing shed (Listed as 18895), reputedly a mid-nineteenth century conversion from a seventeenth or eighteenth century building. The conversion involved shortening the west end. The interior contains remains of dye tubs.

Information from Cadw Listed Buildings database
W J Crompton, RCAHMW, 21 October 2014.