You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Ss Asaph And Cyndeyrn's Church

Loading Map
NPRN408620
Map ReferenceSJ18SW
Grid ReferenceSJ1065681430
Unitary (Local) AuthorityFlintshire
Old CountyFlintshire
CommunityLlanasa
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St Asaph church, Llanasa is a Medieval Perpendicular style church comprising a nave and chancel under a single roof and with a west tower, and a parallel south aisle under a separate roof with a porch. The church is built of rubble stone with lighter freestone dressings and a slate roof with overhanging eaves and with behind coped gables on moulded kneelers. The aisle has a porch which has a segmental pointed arch. The church holds the tomb of Sir Peter Mostyn (d.1605) and is a low chest tomb with a Latin inscription band below the moulded cornice of the cap stone.

The east windows are 15th century with later restoration. The north wall has mainly square-headed Tudor-Gothic windows. The north door is round-headed, the head inscribed: 'Edward Foulks, William Jones, Churchwardens 1750'. The doorway has a boarded door with strap hinges.

The tower has a splayed base, tall lower stage, and narrower upper stage with pyramidal stone roof. It has round-headed bell openings. The west wall of the aisle has a lean-to boiler room, above which a re-used stone set into the wall is carved with Norman relief decoration.

The church was remodelled in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Reference: Cadw listed buildings database.