Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST NICHOLAS'S CHURCH, MONINGTON

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 408690

Map Reference SN14SW

Grid Reference SN1354143809

Unitary (Local) Authority Pembrokeshire

Old County Pembrokeshire

Community Nevern

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Early Medieval, 19th Century, Medieval

Site Description St Nicholas’ Church is situated in an isolated position, in a roughly circular churchyard some 150m down a lane running south from a junction about 330m east of Rhydyfantwn Bridge, south-east of Moylgrove. The church was a possession of St Davids in the early 13th century, but was a chapelry of Llantwyd parish by 1291 and had been acquired by St Dogmael’s by the 16th century. The church was a parish church by around 1600. The church was recorded as Eglwys Wythwr in the 13th century, which has been interpreted as meaning ‘the church of the eight men’, taken to represent the freeholders of the parish and represent a tradition of multiple patronage. There is a Grade 2 listed bierhouse (NPRN 423 426) in the churchyard.

The pre-1860 church is thought to have been largely medieval and to have had a substantial bell tower or turret in 1684.

The current church is a Grade 2 listed building, consisting if 2-bayed nave, 2-bayed chancel, north porch and lean-to vesry. It was constructed in 1860 in a severe High Victorian Gothic manner to designs of architect R.J.Withers of London. It is constructed of tooled blue lias ashlar with a slate roof and red tile cresting, and consists of three-bay nave, chancel, north porch, south-east vestry and bellcote mounted on a west projection. The lean-to vestry has a handsome chimney, stepped in and topped with a hipped stone cap. The interior is simple with plastered walls, open timber roofs with arch-braced collar trusses, scissor rafter roof to chancel, octagonal stone font and timber pulpit, timber reredos and altar rails.

Sources include:
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Pembrokeshire Churches, gazetteer, 48
Cambria Archaeology, 2003, Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer

N Vousden, 11 October 2018

Archive Records