You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Cattwg's Church, Port Eynon

Loading Map
NPRN408816
Map ReferenceSS48NE
Grid ReferenceSS4668085382
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityPort Eynon
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description


St Cadoc's church, Port Eynon, is much-restored, probably built in the C12, and dedicated to St Cattwg. The pulpit in the church is in memory of three lifeboatmen drowned while attempting a rescue on the 1st of January 1916; besides the gateway to the church there is another memorial to these men: a life-sized marble figure standing on a granite base.The west window in the south of the nave (produced by Celtic Studios) also commemorates the RNLI, and shows the calming of the sea and the miraculous draught of fishes.

Reference: Cadw listed building database.

The marble memorial to the lifeboat men was made by monumental masons William Brown to designs by the artist Charles Edward Schenk, both from Swansea. (Information from a report of the unveiling in The Westerm Mail, dated 16 August 1918).  

Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects Archive