You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Elidyr's Church, Crunwere

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN11SE
Grid ReferenceSN1869610734
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
St Elidyr's Church is situated within a polygonal churchyard which has been extended to the west. There is a well at the north-east corner of the churchyard. The church is in an isolated location, some 200m south-west of Crunwere Farm and is approached across a field. It occupies a sloping site with the tower at the uphill end. The church site may have early medieval origins. It was mentioned in a 12th century entry in the Llandaff charters as `Lann Connguern?. The dedication is to St Teilo, in the hypocoristic form of St Elidyr. It is one of a group of five Teilo churches in the area all dedicated to St Teilo and probably representing properties acquired by the mother church at Penally. It was a parish church during the post-Conquest period belonging to the Deanery of Pembroke. The living was a rectory in the possession of Monkton Priory, which fell to the Crown after the dissolution and remained in royal patronage.

The church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of limestone rubble. It consists of 2-bayed chancel, 3-bayed nave, north transept, 3-storeyed west tower, south transept, south porch and vestry. The nave and chancel are thought to date to the 13th century. The north transepts (and skew passage/north chapel) are thought to date to the 14th century. The tower is mid-late 16th-century in date. The lower stage is battered to a string course and vaulted; the top stage is corbelled and crenellated. The former south porch was added in the 18th?early 19th century. The carved rood beam is from around 1900. The church was restored in 1843 to the designs of Thomas Jones of Haverfordwest. The south transept was added and the chancel, nave and north transepts were extensively rebuilt. The church was again restored in 1878, when the south porch was rebuilt and the vestry added. The oolite font, alter rails, commandment tablets, softwood reredos and pews are all thought to date to this time. The restoration introduced some distinctive detailing. The raised quoins appear to belong to this phase. The repetitive circular motif in cement over the porch doorway is notably vernacular and appears to have been made using a cog-wheel as a mould. There are now (as noted in 2011) cracks in the tower and the church has been closed as a dangerous structure.

Sources include:
Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic Churches Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer
Dyfed Archaeological Trust, 2003, Early Medieval Ecclesiastical Sites Project, Pembrokeshire gazetteer
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, The Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire (2004).

RCAHMW, 24 November 2017