Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, YSTRAD MYNACH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 409988

Map Reference ST19SW

Grid Reference ST1438694156

Unitary (Local) Authority Caerphilly

Old County Glamorgan

Community Gelligaer

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description The church of the Holy Trinity is located on the west side of the A472, set back from the road at its junction with Cedar Way, in a churchyard used as a cemetery. It was built in Lancet style in 1855-6 to designs of architect John Norton, paid for by the first vicar Rev.George Thomas. It is constructed of snecked Pennant sandstone with some tooled ashlar dressings including quoins, and deep tiled roof with swept eaves.
A large parish church, it consists of nave, chancel, north-west tower, south-west porch and double-gable transepts at north and south, with the chancel projecting only slightly beyond them. The west wall of the nave is unexpectedly deep because of falling ground. The church does not appear to be of a single build, blocked arches between tower and transepts may indicate an intended aisle. Inside, the roofs suggest that the east half of each transept are additions.
The interior is rendered with exposed dressings. The nave roof is panelled and undivided into bays. The chancel sanctuary has a decorative tiled floor. Fittings include a square font on angled shafts and a pulpit of brass openwork on a stone base. Stained glass includes work by Henry Holiday (1888).
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.649-5.

RCAHMW, 2 June 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records