Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

VICTORIA HOTEL, HOLYWELL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 410347

Map Reference SJ17NE

Grid Reference SJ18727576

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Holywell

Type of Site HOTEL

Broad Class COMMERCIAL

Period 19th Century

Site Description The Victoria Hotel is a three-storey building with hipped slate roofs and red brick chimney stacks. It was built in 1837 and was known as the King's Arms Posting House, and was then rebuilt in 1901. It has a provincial late-Victorian Classical five-bay symmetrical front and painted roughcast. It has robust detailing including quoins and deep toothed red brick cornices to the stepped parapet which is finished in stock brick coping and terracotta ball finials (missing to the right) and lettering to the parapet. It has mostly horned sash windows without glazing bars and moulded architraves with keystones. There is also a dominant porch, spanning three bays, with paired and panelled pilasters and a balustraded parapet with bosses, urns and low segmental pediment and a half-glazed camber arched doorway.

It is listed for its dominant group value in the townscape.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings, NJR 02/03/2010

Archive Records