You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St David's Church, Capel Dewi, And Circular Churchyard

Loading Map
NPRN410433
Map ReferenceSN44SE
Grid ReferenceSN4519242507
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityLlandysul
Type Of SiteCHURCHYARD
PeriodEarly Medieval
Description

St David's church is situated at the centre of the village on crossroads. It was first built in a crude Gothic style 1835, as an Anglican chapel of ease, by Rees Davies of Trewindsor, Llandysul. In 1886 it was remodelled by Middleton, Prothero and Phillott of Cheltenham who added big Perpendicular style traceried windows to the transepts to match the new chancel. Its location within a circular churchyard possibly indicates an early (pre-medieval) foundation on the site. The church lies to the north-east of the prominent defended enclosure at Bont (NPRN 401922) and was noted during RCAHMW aerial reconnaissance.
The church is constructed of rubble stone with paler dressings and slate roofs, and consists of aisleless nave and chancel, short west tower and large, though short, gabled transepts. Inside, walls are plastered beneath a fine single open barrel roof of 1886. Fittings, of 1886, include font, pulpit and lectern by Jones & Willis who also designed the stained glass in the chancel side windows (1904).
Other siurces:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.443.

D.Leighton & T.Driver, RCAHMW, 9 July 2015