Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST DAVID'S CHURCH, CAPEL DEWI, AND CIRCULAR CHURCHYARD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 410433

Map Reference SN44SE

Grid Reference SN4519242507

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llandysul

Type of Site CHURCH, CHURCHYARD

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Early Medieval

Site Description St David's church is situated at the centre of the village on crossroads. It was first built in a crude Gothic style 1835, as an Anglican chapel of ease, by Rees Davies of Trewindsor, Llandysul. In 1886 it was remodelled by Middleton, Prothero and Phillott of Cheltenham who added big Perpendicular style traceried windows to the transepts to match the new chancel. Its location within a circular churchyard possibly indicates an early (pre-medieval) foundation on the site. The church lies to the north-east of the prominent defended enclosure at Bont (NPRN 401922) and was noted during RCAHMW aerial reconnaissance.
The church is constructed of rubble stone with paler dressings and slate roofs, and consists of aisleless nave and chancel, short west tower and large, though short, gabled transepts. Inside, walls are plastered beneath a fine single open barrel roof of 1886. Fittings, of 1886, include font, pulpit and lectern by Jones & Willis who also designed the stained glass in the chancel side windows (1904).
Other siurces:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.443.

D.Leighton & T.Driver, RCAHMW, 9 July 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records