You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Hsbc,7 Colwyn Road

Loading Map
NPRN410735
Map ReferenceSH87NW
Grid ReferenceSH8492078970
Unitary (Local) AuthorityConwy
Old CountyDenbighshire
CommunityColwyn Bay
Type Of SiteBANK (FINANCIAL)
Period19th Century
Description
This two-storey building was originally the North and South Wales Bank Ltd, and is the work of Wolfall and Eccles, architects, 1903 -4. It is the remodelling of an earlier building which formed part of a terrace of circa 1880. It is built from white ashlar with a hipped slate roof with axial stacks. There is a four- window range to Conway Road, and a three- window return to Woodland Road West. On the Conway Road elevation, there are five windows to the banking hall, which is articulated by corbelled pilasters and triglyph frieze. The upper windows have brackets to entablature hoods, and in the Conway Road elevation, they are paired to either side of a raised panel which is lettered with the banks original name. Inside the building, the banking hall has an ornate, deeply coved ceiling which is divided by heavy ribs with low relief foliate swags.

It is listed as a good example of a small-scale bank building which uses a distinctive architectural vocabulary to emphasise its commercial purpose, and which retains a fine banking hall.

Source:- Cadw Listed Building, NJR 29/04/2010