Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SEAFRONT WALL, BARRY ISLAND

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 411101

Map Reference ST16NW

Grid Reference ST11406648

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Barry

Type of Site WALL

Broad Class CIVIL

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description The seafront wall was constructed c.1923 as part of the development of Barry Island as a democratic seaside resort aimed at the working classes of the industrial areas of South Wales. In 1909, Lord Windsor of Friars Point House had gifted the land between the high watermark of Whitmore Bay and Friars Road to the Barry Urban District Council for this purpose.
The seafront wall is a low wall in rock faced stone with terminating piers and curved copings and extends almost the whole width of Whitmore Bay with six sets of paired step exits giving access to the beach and two further projecting bays. It incorporates two shelters at either end which rise from the face of the wall.
N.J.Roberts, RCAHMW, 22 June 2010.
See also nprns:- 411104, 411105 ,411106 & 411116.

Digital Images

Archive Records