You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

1 Menai Quay;john Edwards Wholesale Warehouses (former)

Loading Map
NPRN411237
Map ReferenceSH57SE
Grid ReferenceSH5577071880
Unitary (Local) AuthorityIsle of Anglesey
Old CountyAnglesey
CommunityMenai Bridge
Type Of SiteHOUSE
Period19th Century
Description
This was originally a range of early to mid nineteenth century warehouse buildings situated on the west side of Water Street, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. It was built in several distinct phases of construction and has a painted wooden sign on the building which reads 'John Edwards Wholesale .... Est. 182-.' . It comprised of a two-storeyed, three-bay original range to the centre, with a three window range addition to the left under the same roof, and further additions to either end, separately roofed. The walls of the main building are rubble masonry, whilst the addition to the left is built of smaller stones. It has slate lintels and a hipped slate roof with projecting eaves to the main range and added bay to the left, and a pyramidal slate roof to the added bay to the right. The building was converted into residential units in 2005.


It was listed as an impressive early nineteenth century warehouse retaining much historic character and original detail, including 16-pane sash windows to the firstt floor. The building reflects the economic growth of Menai Bridge in the early nineteenth century following the construction of the Menai Suspension Bridge in 1826, and the continued importance of maritime trade. It contributes to the historic character of the lower, quayside area of Menai Bridge.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings, NJR 14/07/2010