Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 411237

Map Reference SH57SE

Grid Reference SH55777188

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Menai Bridge



Period 19th Century

Site Description This was originally a range of early to mid nineteenth century warehouse buildings situated on the west side of Water Street, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. It was built in several distinct phases of construction and has a painted wooden sign on the building which reads 'John Edwards Wholesale .... Est. 182-.' . It comprised of a two-storeyed, three-bay original range to the centre, with a three window range addition to the left under the same roof, and further additions to either end, separately roofed. The walls of the main building are rubble masonry, whilst the addition to the left is built of smaller stones. It has slate lintels and a hipped slate roof with projecting eaves to the main range and added bay to the left, and a pyramidal slate roof to the added bay to the right. The building was converted into residential units in 2005.

It was listed as an impressive early nineteenth century warehouse retaining much historic character and original detail, including 16-pane sash windows to the firstt floor. The building reflects the economic growth of Menai Bridge in the early nineteenth century following the construction of the Menai Suspension Bridge in 1826, and the continued importance of maritime trade. It contributes to the historic character of the lower, quayside area of Menai Bridge.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings, NJR 14/07/2010

Archive Records