Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S CHURCH, PENRHIWLLAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 411657

Map Reference SN34SE

Grid Reference SN3673341000

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llandyfriog

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century, Medieval

Site Description St Mary's Church, formerly the parish church of Llanfair Orllwyn, is situated within a curvilinear churchyard, delineated by roads on its north-east and north-west sides. The churchyard sits at the centre of a network of roads and rights of way, one of which leads through the churchyard is depicted as circular on 1889 Ordnance Survey mapping, which also depicts a dwelling (with three small fields attached), Llanfair, adjacent to the southern churchyard boundary. It also depicts a parsonage, Persondy, immediately south of the road leading to the modern Old Rectory. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the deanery of Sub-Aeron. It is thought to have been a possession of the Bishops of St Davids from an early date.

The form of the earlier church is not known. The font, whose square bowl has a chamfered underside rising to chamfered-off corners, is fourteenth century in date. The church was rebuilt either in 1808 or c1820, on the the same site and in the same locaton as its predecessor, possibly retaining some of the earlier fabric. Constructed of Ordovician shale rubble, it consists of two-bayed chancel, three-bayed nave and vestry (north of chancel east bay). It was not fitted out until 1842, by Rees Davies of Llandysul. The church was again restored and refitted in 1887, when the current roofs and floors were added and window frames inserted. The vestry also dates from this time.

Sources include:
Cadw, Listed Buildings Database

RCAHMW, 2 July 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records