Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SOPHIA GARDENS BOWLING GREEN, RIVERSIDE, CARDIFF

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 411731

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST1752276817

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Riverside

Type of Site BOWLING GREEN

Broad Class RECREATIONAL

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Opened on 5 June 1878, the Sophia Gardens Bowling Green was designed and constructed by Andrew Pettigrew – head gardener of the Cardiff Castle estate – according to the wishes of the Marquess of Bute. It was laid out for the sole use of the Cardiff Bowling Club and is clearly marked on the 1879 O/S map. The green was used in the 1958 Empire Games and is still in use today as the home of the Cardiff Bowling Club.

Daryl Leeworthy, RCAHMW, 4 October 2010

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites