You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

The Borough Cemetery;the Municipal Cemetery, Aberystwyth

Loading Map
NPRN411747
Map ReferenceSN58SE
Grid ReferenceSN5916081250
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityAberystwyth
Type Of SiteMUNICIPAL CEMETERY
Period19th Century
Description
This Municipal cemetery was established in 1860 and laid out and planted by the well known plantsman James Dickson of Chester. It has the original (restored) iron gates by the Coalbrookdale Company 1860, and a designed Tudor-style cemetery keeper's lodge (1873), at the entrance on Llanbadarn Road. The graves are laid out in separate zones for Anglican and Dissenter Burials, and are further subdivided into first, second and third class burials within the two halves. These were differentiated by a fixed scale of charges for purchasing the exclusive right to bury. As a result the most elaborate memorials are in the main at the top of the slope near the end of the shady entrance avenue. Church burials face east, and Dissenters face south. This arrangement of the plots has been left undisturbed.

Source:- Management Plan, Greener Aberystwyth Group - Grwp Abersytwyth Gwyrddach, April 2010
NJR, RCAHMW, 07/10/2010