You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Llandaff

Loading Map
NPRN412951
Map ReferenceST17NE
Grid ReferenceST1500077000
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCardiff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityLlandaff
Type Of SiteSETTLEMENT
PeriodGeneral
Description
Llandaf, also known as Llandaff, is situated to the north of the city of Cardiff. As an ancient parish it included the townships of Canton, Ely, Fairwater and Gabalfa. Although known historically as a `city?, due to its status as the Seat of the Bishop of Llandaf, it was never incorporated, and by the 19th century was considered little more than a village. Llandaf was gradually absorbed into the borough of Cardiff during the 19th and 20th centuries; and was officially incorporated into the city in 1922.

Llandaf has been a place of worship since the 6th century, with Roman-British burials being found beneath the current cathedral. It is the Seat of the Church in Wales, and home of the Bishop of Llandaff, whose diocese covers the most populous area of south Wales. The cathedral is considered to date to the 12th century, and has suffered many vicissitudes over the years; coming under attack by Owain Glyndwr, Oliver Cromwell, and German air attack in World War II. On the high ground above the cathedral are the ruins of an ancient Episcopal palace which was destroyed by Owain Glyndwr in 1402.
Much of the area consists of parkland, known as the Llandaf Fields.

L. Moore, RCAHMW, 9th February 2011
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfETW - European Travellers to Wales Project