Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 413326

Map Reference SN91SW

Grid Reference SN93061345

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Ystradfellte

Type of Site CHURCH


Period Medieval

Site Description Anglican parish church, medieval, probably early C15 with late C15 to C16 West tower. Restored 1882. Some or all of the stained glass is by R.J. Newbery, who included Ystradfellte in a list of locations of his work in 1907. Graded II* as a mostly late medieval church with fine panelled barrel roof to the chancel.

Tower has renewed beamed ceiling, the beams on medieval corbels. Rubble stone pointed arch into church, infilled for pointed doorway with C19 double doors. Plastered walls, panelled barrel roofs with open panels, the nave roof apparently all C19, the chancel roof C15 to C16 with moulded ribs. Segmental pointed plastered reveals to nave windows. In NE corner square-headed low narrow rood stair door, with oak door, the cover strips in Tudor arch pattern. Similar longer door to narrow upper rood loft opening. Plain plastered pointed broad chancel arch. One step to chancel. Broad chancel with fine panelled roof of 10x6 open panels. One step to sanctuary.

Font, possibly C16, whitewashed stone octagonal bowl with tooled edges to each face and underside splayed in to chamfered square base standing on square plain pedestal with chamfered upper edges.

Pulpit 1906, large, octagonal, timber, with ornate traceried blind panels, and carved angel bookrest, given by Mrs Ann Jones of Radyr in memory of her husband J.W. Jones engineer to Ystradfodwg Local Board. Reredos and panelling across E end 1905, framing the E window with oak panelling in reveals and flanking crocketted paired piers with statues in niches, cornice and cresting. Reredos has carved panel of Christ at Emmaus. Given by Mrs Ann Jones in memory of her parents. Oak eagle lectern c1903 to Rev. D. Jones, on Gothic shaft. Plain altar rails on six wrought iron uprights with leaf scrolls. Pine chancel stalls with open-fronted kneelers. Plain pine late C19 pews. Late C19 vestry in NW corner with boarded walls.

Stained glass: E window 1891, Last Supper, given by Mrs Thomas of Ysguborwen, Aberdare. Chancel S window SS Mary & David 1905 given by Mrs Ann Jones, also the nave N window St Elizabeth & King David, to David & Elizabeth Walters of Hepste Fawr. Nave S window Faith & Hope to Mrs Ann Jones died 1910.

Monuments: In tower incised slab with arms to William Jones of Hepste, died 1691 and slab to Margaret Jones of Heol Fawr died 1812. In nave N window reveal plaque to Howell Howell of Penyfathor Issa died 1761 and Lervelin Howell died 1753, signed by L. Powel; and arched plaque with winged angel head to Margaret Morgan of Penyvathor Ycha died 1751, by J. Williams. N wall Gothic plaque to Jenkin Walters of Penyfathor died 1837 and wife died 1867, by J. Philips of Talgarth. Nave SE plaques to John Jones of Blaen Nedd Uchaf died 1805, by William Jones, and to Lewis Jenkins of Brynbich died 1785. Chancel E wall right has a long plaque of 1733 recording charities; a carved and coloured plaque with crude ornament to Edward Walters of Llwynyfedw died 1824. Chancel S has plaque to Jenkin Walters of Penyfathor Ychaf died 1812 and wife died 1823; good painted stone memorial with crude Adam-style detail to Elizabeth Jones of Carnycrochan died 1814 and husband died 1816, signed ?Edward; oval plaque to William Jones of Clynmerched died 1794 and son died 1816; painted plaque to Thomas Jones of Berthlwyd died 1779 with winged skull and bones and carved border. W wall has oval plaque with crude winged head to Margaret Jones of Forchgoch, Glyncorrwg, died 1793 and husband died 1794.

Parish church, rubble stone with slate roofs. W tower, nave, chancel. Fine large tower with battered base, tapering walls and corbelled embattled parapet. Base has high string course and is broken for chamfered pointed W door with C19 board door with scrolled iron hinges. Plain rectangular louvred bell-opening each face, and two much smaller similar openings on W front. Stone lintels. Nave and lower chancel have extensive remains of former render. Nave S and N each have three two-light windows with arched heads to lights, mostly late C19, but copying a red stone original in third window of S side. Blocked low pointed door with stone voussoirs between second and third windows. Chancel S has late medieval square-headed two-light window in red stone, the right jamb splayed, the left one straight, suggesting alteration. Two recessed lights with keyhole cusping and sunk spandrels. E end has C19 tooled grey stone two-light with curved heads as on nave windows and curved-sided lozenge above. N side has a medieval plain chamfered pointed single light.

R. Haslam, The Buildings of Wales Powys, 1979, pp 386-7;
Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust, Brecon Churches Project.

CADW listed building database.

Photographed during aerial reconnaissance by RCAHMW on 8th Dec 2010.
L. Osborne, 18th March 2011.

Digital Images

Archive Records