You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Abercamlais Corn Mill;abercamlais Mill

Loading Map
NPRN413554
Map ReferenceSN92NE
Grid ReferenceSN9634028820
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
CommunityTrallong
Type Of SiteCORN MILL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Felincamlais (NPRN 413261), in the upper reaches of Cwm Camlais-fawr, a tributary of the Usk, appears in seventeenth century records of the Penpont Estate. A grant of 1671 referring to milling rights there describes the mill as `Melin ycha ar Camlais?, or `upper mill on the Camlais?, implying the coeval presence of a `lower mill? somewhere downstream near its confluence with the Usk.
The Ordnance Survey first-edition 25-inch plan (1870s) shows a roofless rectangular building at the given NGR. The Tithe Award map (1840) likewise shows a structure here but it is not present on the OS second edition (c.1900). On the ground the site is now occupied by a hollow seemingly cut into the rising ground of the stream valley, some 10-15m from the stream bank, near a point where the bank has slumped. It measures about 5m across and 1.5m deep. It contains rubble, some of it crudely dressed, and suggests a building which has been dug out. The occupants of nearby Abercamlais House recall a tradition that there was once a mill at this location. Mill stones, supposedly from the site, form garden ornaments in the grounds of the house. However, no traces of a water-control system were identified near the hollow. This could be accounted for by landscaping and tree-planting after the mill had gone out of use. About 100m east of the hollow, on higher ground at SN96432884, the OS map shows a roofed building but this too has now gone.
By 1840 Felincamlais was being referred to as `Abercamlais Mill? despite its upstream location. It is likely therefore that the original `Abercamlais Mill? had gone out of use in the period 1671-1840, the name transferred to Felincamlais, then this too went out of use soon after 1840.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 1 April 2011