You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Bangor Railway Station, Chester And Holyhead Railway, Bangor

Loading Map
NPRN41468
Map ReferenceSH57SE
Grid ReferenceSH5758371630
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
CommunityBangor
Type Of SiteRAILWAY STATION
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The Chester and Holyhead Railway was proposed to improve links between London and Dublin. The bill was passed in July 1844 with Robert Stephenson as engineer and Francis Thompson of Derby as architect. Bangor was the main station between Chester and Holyhead and architecturally is one of the best. The line was opened this far on 1 May 1848; it was the terminus until March 1850 when the Britannia Bridge (nprn 34614) was opened to cross the Menai Straits. Expansion began in 1852, the railway was taken over by the London and North Western Railway Company in 1859 and in 1881 the Belmont Tunnel, to the west of the station, was shortened by 135 yds. Additional station buildings were added in 1927.

Sources include: Cadw Listed Buildings.
ALH, RCAHMW, 16.09.2013.