Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BLACKWOOD WORKMEN'S HALL AND INSTITUTE, BLACKWOOD MINERS INSTITUTE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 414818

Map Reference ST19NE

Grid Reference ST1739797423

Unitary (Local) Authority Caerphilly

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Blackwood

Type of Site CINEMA, MINERS INSTITUTE, THEATRE, WORKING MENS INSTITUTE

Broad Class CIVIL

Period 20th Century

Site Description Blackwood Miners Institute opened in 1927 as a single-storey hall and snooker room maintained by a levy on workers' wages. Construction was made possible through a £7,000 grant from the Miners' Welfare Fund in addition to a sum of £850 raised from local miners themselves. The present building took form in 1936 when a further two storeys were added providing the theatre auditorium, reading room and library, committee rooms, and a ladies room. With the decline and eventual demise of the coal mining industry in Blackwood the Insitute fell into disrepair and it was sold to Islwyn Borough Council 1989 to ensure long-term survival. Refurbished, the Institute reopened in 1992 as an arts venue which remains its purpose today.

Daryl Leeworthy, RCAHMW, 16 September 2011.

Archive Records