You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Church Of St Gwynour, Penclawdd

Loading Map
NPRN416952
Map ReferenceSS59SW
Grid ReferenceSS5485094820
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityLlanrhidian Higher
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The church of St Gwynour is located south of Penclawdd in the hamlet of Blue Anchor in the parish of Llanyrnewydd. The parish became a seperate parish in 1925, before this it was part of Llanrhidian.

A medieval church originally stood on the site which was rebuilt in 1850 by J Buckley, with the spire rebuilt in 1886 and the chancel rebuilt in 1926 incorporating an organ chamber and vestry. St Gwynour today comprises a nave, seperate chancel, west tower/porch and organ chamber and vestry. The church is built mainly from squared rockfaced blocks of local sandstone, with Bath stone dressings.

The fittings of the church are Victorian or later, except for the bowl of the font which is though to be medieval. Two wall tablets were preserved from the earlier church and there is a single bell of 1850.

Source: Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust.

Photographed during aerial reconnaissance by RCAHMW on 4th March 2008.
L. Osborne, 15th June 2012.