Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ABERHOCCWN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 417316

Map Reference SH36NE

Grid Reference SH39786839

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Bodorgan

Type of Site DWELLING

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period 18th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Late C18. The cottage was originally built on part of the Bodeon or Bodowen estate, the neighbouring estate to Bodorgan and the Anglesey seat of the Owen family (also of Orielton, Pembrokeshire). In 1808 the estate was sold off and the cottage, along with many of the Anglesey properties, was purchased by William Lewis Hughes, created 1st Lord Dinorben in 1831. The Meyrick family were keen to acquire many of the properties, especially those that bordered their own lands, and during the 1840's negotiations took place between Lord Dinorben and Owen John Augustus Fuller Meyrick, the latter keen to secure and expand his estate. Aberhoccwn was one of the properties successfully purchased by the Bodorgan estate in mid C19. The Tithe map for the parish (1840) shows the original cottage only (the block at the right (N) end), this was later extended by the addition of another cottage to the left (S), both cottages now form a single dwelling.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings. ALH 27/07/2012

Archive Records