You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Former Bridge Mill, Talybont

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN68NE
Grid ReferenceSN6544489129
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Period19th Century
The 1st edition of the 25-inch O. S. map (1888) names the building as Upper Factory (flannel), and the 2nd edition of 1905 as Bridge Mill (flannel). A late C19th (?) photograph shows a wooden launder passing along the south side of the building, having been supplied from the corn mill (NPRN 24789) leat and passing under the road via a syphon. At this period the building was naked stone with a slate roof. The mill was burnt down in the 1930s, and the site is now occupied by two houses, the eastern one having a single-storey extension on its east side. The walls are now roughcast, but the size and shape of windows on the two-storey south elevation suggest that it is the same building, renovated and converted. There is no surviving evidence of the launder.
W J Crompton, RCAHMW, 16 August 2012.