You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael's Church, Lledrod

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN67SW
Grid ReferenceSN6456370181
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century

The parish church of St Michaels is located within a sub-rectangular churchyard used as a cemetery on the south side of Lledrod village. It was built in 1826-7 to designs of Edward Lumley of Aberystwyth, as a single vessel with east bellcote, constructed of rubble stone and slate roof, and paler windows in plate tracery. It was remodelled in 1884 by Archibald Richie who added a hipped west end porch and vestry. In the porch is a small. plain square medieval font. Stained glass in the east window is by Sylvester Sparrow (1902). In the churchyard is a tiny former school of 1850.
Google Street View, August 2011.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.542.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 16 July 2015

"The bell in the turret at the west end of the church is inscribed 'WM EVANS FECIT 1751' and has an iron headstock and 'an iron wheel made from a chaffcutter wheel with iron raves added to form grooves for a chain.' (Scarpe.)" - notes from Arthur O. Chater.
RCAHMW 6th February 2020