Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

SWANBRIDGE HOUSE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 418141

Map Reference ST16NE

Grid Reference ST16956749

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Sully

Type of Site DWELLING

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Probably early C19 in present form. Formerly a farmhouse on the Bute Estate. Adjacent to the site of now demolished Sully House, of the Sully estate, where Evan Thomas, the owner and agricultural improver lived in early C19: the division between the parishes of Sully and Lavernock, which includes Swanbridge, is between the two. Swanbridge had a slipway and there are records of shipping operating in the area from C16. Kelp was prepared by burning seaweed in pits - 1 ton of kelp from 20 tons of seaweed - and exported. Other exports were local plants, including sea-holly, sent to Bristol for medicines. Main exports in C17 and C18 were cheese, butter, wool, woollen goods and livestock. Coastal trade declined at end of C18 with closure of ferry between Sully and Uphill on the other side of the Bristol Channel. On the slopes to rear (now off the Lavernock Road) The Bute Estate later and until 1920 experimented in viticulture and established a 5 acre (2 hectare) vineyard, the grapes processed in Cardiff Castle Gardens. The map of 1845 shows the house with a long cross range front left and a further 2 buildings and wall to right; First edition OS map shows further ranges to left. Well to rear. The porch was re-erected here from an old house elsewhere.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings. ALH 17/12/2012

Archive Records