You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Brynmoel Mill, Blackhills, Gower

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSS59SE
Grid ReferenceSS5785091300
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
PeriodPost Medieval
On the north side of Blackhills Lane (on the east side of Fairwood Common) is the site of Brynmoel Mill, as named on the OS two-inch sheet of 1813 (1). The mill does not appear on later OS maps. The building is shown on the Tithe map (2) (1844) with the mill stream, which is annotated as such, but the parcel in which the building lies is listed as 'House and garden' with no reference to a mill.
The mill was located on the the east side of the the upper reaches of the Blackhills stream which eventually drains into the Bishopston Valley. The mill race is fed by a tributary stream from which it emerges at approximately SS58139166, and follows a circuitous route over a distance of some 600m. Part of its line seems to have become incorporated in a more recent fenceline and is elsewhere obscured by woodland. It is therefore possible that traces of it have survived.
It is unclear when the mill was constructed but there is a tenurial history which can be traced back at least to the later seventeenth century, and there may have been more than one mill at this location (3).

(1) Ordnance Survey two-inch MS map (1813 edition); NLW.
(2) Tithe Map & Apportionment, parish of Bishopstone (1844); NLW.
(3) B.Taylor, Watermills of the Lordship of Gower (Swansea 2008), p.39.

David Leighton, RCAHMW, 26 March 2013