You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Eglwys Dewi Sant, Henfynyw

Loading Map
NPRN418342
Map ReferenceSN46SW
Grid ReferenceSN4474661203
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityHenfynyw
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period19th Century
Description
St David's church, Henfynyw was built on the site of a medieval church, formerly a chapelry, which became a parish church during the post-medieval period. It was entirely (re)built in the 19th century, but nothing was retained from the earlier fabric.
The present church was built to designs of R.J.Withers in 1864-6, in dark rubble stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. It consists of nave and narrower chancel, small gabled north-west porch, and west bell-turret with octagonal spirelet on a tapering projection (pierced by a plate-traceried window) on the gable.
The font is twelfth-thirteenth century in date, and is similar in style to that at St Ffraid's Church, Llansantffraid (NPRN 96045) and St Bledrws' Church, Betws Bledrws (NPRN 418245).

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Ceredigion Churches, gazetteer, 48

D Leighton & N Vousden, RCAHMW, 10 July 2015