You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Margaret's Church, Glanaman

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN61SE
Grid ReferenceSN6730313853
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyCarmarthenshire
CommunityBetws (Carmarthenshire)
Type Of SiteCHURCH
This corregated iron building, situated on Tirycoed Road, was the original St Margaret's Church. The church was dedicated by the Rev. John Owen, Bishop of St Davids, on 16 May 1907. The church was originally intended to be used for 21 years but was, in fact, used for nearly 27 years. Reverend Robert Williams, Archdeacon of Carmarthen, preached the last sermon at the old church, as he had preached the first sermon there nearly 27 years earlier. The opening ceremony for the new St Margaret's Church (NPRN 12618) took place on 1 November 1933. A large congregation gathered at the old church for the ceremony. The crowd, lead by the Church Choir and followed by the Bishop and robed clergy, walked to the site of the new church. The old church building was subsequently used as a church hall. It is noted that on the 9 October 2008, planning permission was granted to build a single storey dwelling on the site of St Margaret's Church Hall.

Sources include:

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 14 February 2013