You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Rhiwfelen, Penegoes

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH70SE
Grid ReferenceSH7841500214
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
Type Of SiteHOUSE
Period16th Century
LB 26838
Originally a C16-early C17 3-unit cruck-framed hall-house. Documentary records refer to the house in 1690 when it was owned by Mr R Rowland, a landowner, who took part in the Great Sessions at Welshpool. A new block was added at right angles, probably in the early C19, incorporating the N unit of the early house. Possibly at the same time, a small storeyed cross-wing was added to the front of the earlier house, perhaps a new parlour. Shown in its current form on the Tithe map of 1840.
The entrance leads into a large hall, the ceiling with 2 deeply chamfered cross-beams with lambs-tongue stops, and similar joists. Inside the R jamb of the door, is the foot of a cruck. To the R is a large fireplace, the lintel papered over, with flanking wooden settles; a doorway on its L side leads into the cross-wing (not seen). On the L side of the hall is a timber-framed partition to 2 unheated inner rooms, which have deeply chamfered spine beams; the larger one to the E was a dairy with salting slab, and the foot of a 2nd cruck is visible in front of the end wall. Some of the partition panels retain wattle infill.
The original house, facing NE, is single-storey with attic, with small 2-storey cross-wing to R, partly in front of the N unit. It retains some timber-framing with lath infill to front (now rendered over), and a plinth. The rear and gable end walls are of rubble stone; graded slate roof. At the junction of main range and cross-wing is a stone stack with 2 diagonally-set shafts. Entrance to central unit with boarded door; 2 small lights above. To the L are 3 x 2-light casement windows, of irregular size with iron or wooden glazing. The SE gable end has a blocked window to upper storey; rear elevation has 2 x 2-light wooden windows, that to L with dripstone. The small front cross-wing has a stone stack to gable end, and 2 small wooden windows to the 1st floor; window to R-return.

The later block, facing NW, is 2-storey and 3-window, constructed of random stone under a slate roof with stone stack to R. The front incorporates the NW gable end of the earlier house to the L bay, and the L-hand return contains a tall blocked opening. Central entrance with open gabled wooden porch with decorated barge boards, inside which is a panelled door. Detail includes segmental brick heads to openings, and 12-pane hornless sash windows; the lower L window has a slate-hung lintel. The windows to R are lower as the ground falls in this direction. Lean-to block to rear with stone corner stack and wide window; it once housed a boiler.

Morgan, Wendy, Caeheulon & the parish of Penegoes, 2003, p 351;
Penegoes Tithe Map, 1840.

This description is from the Cadw Listed Building Database.