You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Schwyll Pumping Station; Bridgend Water Works, Ogmore

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSS87NE
Grid ReferenceSS8876477036
Unitary (Local) AuthorityThe Vale of Glamorgan
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunitySt Bride's Major (The Vale of Glamorgan)
Schwyll Pumping station, utilising the water from a natural spring, was historically used as the main source of water for the Bridgend area. The outflow of the spring is far larger than any other freshwater spring in Wales. A covered reservoir was built at the site in circa 1950.

"Shieau Springs", along with a small Reservoir and an Engine House belonging to Bridgend Water Works, are depicted on the first edition Ordnance Survey 25in map of 1877, to the north of the road between Ogmore and Ewenny. On the second and third edition maps of 1899 and 1919, the name has been changed to "Schwyll" and the complex is annotated "Water Works (Bridgend Gas & Water Co)" whilst the former Ogmore Corn Mill (nprn 414222), some 200 metres to the west, is annotated "Pumping Station (Bridgend Gas & Water Co)". On the fourth edition map of 1941, the engine house and reservoir have been removed and the present Engine House,covered Reservoir and an Artesian Well are shown, south of the road and the complex annotated "Water Works (Mid-Glamorgan Water Board)"; the corn mill is no longer annotated.

OS historical mapping
Aerofilms photograph dated 1950.

RCAHMW, 2014.