Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HOLY CROSS CATHOLIC CHURCH; OUR LADY OF VICTORIES, VICTORIA STREET, ABERAERON

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 419302

Map Reference SN46SE

Grid Reference SN45856301

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberaeron

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description Holy Cross Catholic Church is situated in Victoria Street, set slightly back from the adjacent terraced houses. The church, then known as Our Lady of Victories, was constucted as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in 1864. It closed in 1924, but was reopened as a Catholic church in 1958. Its stained glass window, by Richard King, depicts the virgin and child and dates to 1960.

Sources include:
Lloyd, T, Orbach, J and Scourfield, R, 2006, The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/site/210

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 3 September 2013