Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MONMOUTHSHIRE REGIMENT MEMORIAL, ABERGAVENNY

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 419428

Map Reference SO21SE

Grid Reference SO2972214496

Unitary (Local) Authority Monmouthshire

Old County Monmouthshire

Community Abergavenny

Type of Site WAR MEMORIAL

Broad Class COMMEMORATIVE

Period 20th Century

Site Description A First World War memorial located opposite the Baptist Chapel but with its back to it, facing up the street and situated at the road junction on an open island platform. Designed by Gilbert Ledward RGA as a memorial for the Monmouthshire Regiment, it was unveiled on 29th October 1921. Cast by A B Burton, Founder of Thames Ditton and paid for by public subscription from the people of Abertillery, Ebbw Vale, Cwm, Tredegar, Rhymney and Abergavenny.
The standing bronze soldier is leaning on an upturned Lee Enfield rifle and is dressed in full battle kit with sling and tin hat. The figure is in an attitude of exhaustion after battle; on a granite pedestal set on a concrete platform. Diminishing squares going to a shaft with chamfered corners. To the front the memorial is inscribed: 'To the Officers, NCOs and Men of the 3rd Battalion Monmouthshire Regt. who fell in the Great War'; lists of battle honours on the sides. A Second World War inscription has been added to the back. The monument was restored in 2005. (Cadw Listing database)

RCAHMW, 26 November 2013

Digital Images

Archive Records