You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Michael's Church, Ciliau Aeron

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN55NW
Grid ReferenceSN5024058137
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityCiliau Aeron
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval

St Michael's Church is situated within a roughly rectilinear churchyard, whose north, east and west boundaries are delineated by roads. The churchyard's southern section appears to be an extension, dating from between 1889 and 1905. 1889 Ordnance Survey mapping depicts it as curvilinear in shape and approximately half it's current size. The church was not a parish church during the medieval period, but was a chapelry of the Deanery of Sub-Aeron. The benefice is thought to have been a rectory belonging to St Davids Cathedral. The church had become a parish church by 1833, when it was a discharged rectory in the patronage of the Bishop of St Davids.

Nothing is known of the pre-eighteenth century church.

The current church is a Grade II listed building. It was rebuilt in the mid-eighteenth century, on the same site and in the same location as its predecessor, but retaining nothing of its earlier fabric. The rebuild was at the expense of David Davies of Foelallt (died1768, aged 55), as recorded on his memorial in the churchyard. The church is constructed of rubble stone, with the west window dressed with yellow oolite. The church consists of five-bayed nave and chancel and west porch. The church bell is medieval in date. The church was restored in 1905, to the designs of E.V. Collier, Carmarthen. The east wall and south-east corner were rebuilt, which included a new east window. The east half of the building was reroofed, and the church was refloored, reseated and internally replastered. The north buttress was added (matching that against the south wall) and a chimney (now removed) was added at the west end. The panelling was also repaired. The west porch dates from the early twentieth century, but is later than the 1905 restoration.

The bell was cast in the second half of the 14th century and is probably the second oldest in Cardiganshire; it is inscribed + SAN CTE: MICHA: EL : ORA : PRO : NOBIS (Sharpe)' according to notes written to accompany photography by Arthur Chater in August 1967

RCAHMW, September 2022