You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Hean Castle Firebrick Works, Wiseman's Bridge

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN10NW
Grid ReferenceSN1434005980
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
PeriodPost Medieval
Woodside iron foundry (nprn 524997), served by a siding from the Saundersfoot Railway (nprn 43051), is shown on Ordnance Survey first edition mapping of 1889. The tramway siding terminates in the yard of a 'Brick Works (Disused)' comprising a large building and four kilns. Opened in 1849/50, Hean Castle Brickworks produced firebricks from black clay underlying the coal seams and were reputedly the best in the country.
Modern aerial photography shows only heavy tree cover, but All Wales LiDAR suggests that both sites have been cleared.

Sources include:
All Wales LiDAR (2m resolution), Environment Agency 2012
Dyfed Archaeological Trust HER Ref: 29920
NAW Aerial Photography 2006-9
OS 1st edition 25in
Sources include: The Saundersfoot Railway, M R C Price, Oakwood Press, 3rd edition 1978; Industrial Saundersfoot, M R C Price, Gomer Press, 1982.

RCAHMW, March 2014.