You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Capel Llandyrri, Possible Church Site, Llandyry

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN40SW
Grid ReferenceSN4340504949
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyCarmarthenshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Capel Llandyrri, a chapel of ease, is thought to have been situated in the garden of Llandyry House. It is in very close vicinity to the current church (NPRN 310153), some 60m to the north-west. The chapel appears on a fourteenth century map and is first mentioned in documents of the 1440s. it is depicted on a number of sixteenth and seventeenth century maps. From 1759 to 1823 it appears that the chapel was in a poor state of repair, and in 1811 it was noted that the church was used during the summer months. The church is thought to have been repared in 1826, and an iron scroll on the old churchyard gate is reported to have been inscribed 'Re. T.E. V. J.R. J.T. C.W. Feb. 11, 1826.' The west end of the nave is reported to have been enlarged in the later nineteenth century. In 1898 the chapel was noted to be a commodius stone building, seating 115. It was described as cruciform in shape and to consist of chancel, nave and transept. The chancel was noted to incline to the north, resulting in the principals of the roof being on a skew. In 1833 services were noted to be performed regularly in the afternoon. In 1907 the church was noted to have been recently restored at a cost of £600 and to posess a chalice, paten and flagon of electro-plate inscribed 'Presented by J.Ll. M. Elkington to lladyry Dec. 25, 1888'.

Sources include:
Frederick Jones, J, 1937, 'Capel Llandyrri, Penbre' in Transactions of the Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society, Vol XXVII, pg68-69

N Vousden, RCAHMW, 14 September 2012