Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

MONKSTONE LIGHTHOUSE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 420265

Map Reference ST26SW

Grid Reference ST2362060054

Unitary (Local) Authority Maritime

Old County Maritime

Community Maritime

Type of Site LIGHTHOUSE

Broad Class MARITIME

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description Monkstone Lighthouse is located in the Bristol Channel, near Lavernock Point, Glamorgan. It was established in 1839 and remained largely unaltered until its conversion to solar powered operation in 1993. The lighthouse consists of a masonry tower strengthened by vertical and horizontal wrought iron bands surmounted by a prefabricated red GRP tower which replaced the original iron structure in 1993.

Reference: Trinity House Lighthouse Service online: http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses/lighthouse_list/monkstone.html?tab=location

RCAHMW, 2014.

Digital Images

Archive Records